Como in the XVIII Century
Evolution of Como During The Centuries
 
Italian Version    
How the City of Como has Change...
Our Area

"Como in the XVIII century" is a project born within the course of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in the Master of Science in IAT (Environmental and Geomatic Engineering) of Politenico di Milano (Como Campus), Academic Year 2008-2009. The aim of the project is the realization of a webGIS that can collect all the available information about the city of Como in the XVIII century. This work originates from the finding of an ancient city-map of 1722, given to University from Comune di Como and Archivio di Stato, then rectified and geo-referenced in UTM coordinates using the PCI OrthoEngine software. The project that is presented in this website starts from the results obtained last year ( http://webgis.como.polimi.it/comoXVIII/ ) but it's more concerned about the evolution of Como during the centuries. In the menu above you can find more information.

The city of Como has been divided in 11 areas of almost homogeneous extent, each of them assigned to a different group of students. Our Area correspond to the 7 group, and is the one devoted to the San Benedetto Church.
Where is the city of como?

See: http://www.comuni.comonline.co.it/como/eng/where.html. Como is a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, 45 kilometres (28 mi) north of Milan. Its proximity to Lake Como and to the Alps has made Como a popular tourist destination and the city contains numerous works of art, churches, gardens, museums, theatres, parks and palaces. See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Como

© 2010 Politecnico di Milano, sede di Como Laboratorio di Geomatica 
The Cartographic information in this website is due to:
     
Comune di Como
Archivio di Stato