BACKGROUND

The city of Como is located at about 45 kilometers in the north of Milano. It is situated in the southern tip of the south-west arm of Como Lake, it is the capital of the province of Como. During the XVIII century it was an important way for the trade between Italy and central Europe. The manifacturing industries was very developed, there were workshops that product wool and silk clothes. The merchandise was transported from Como towards Chiavenna with carriage by the oldest road Regina or by boat until Colico, than crossing the Alpine pass of Spluga reached Coira. Only in 1849 there was a railways that join Monza with Camerlata, in 1875 were built the rails from Camerlata to S. Giovanni.

OBJECTIVES

The objective of the “Como 17th century” webGIS is to provide an overview of the ancient Teresian cadastral map, and publish some information about historical things and interesting building. Our aim were to training about the use of some program to editing webGis, like Map Server, Chameleon, Open Layers. The area of the city that we digitize is bounded by the blocks 8 and 9, they refers to the western zone of Como. The user of the website can query a specific building in order to obtain the information that he request, including the date of construction, the owners, the old drawings (if they are available in the Archives of State),and some more recently photo.

METHODS

The “Como 17th century” webGIS was built in several steps: preparation of the spatial data (map editing), building up the webgis composed by the preparation of mapfile, template file, and the chameleon file. The work was developed during the laboratory of the course GIS 2 at Politecnico di Milano, Como campus.

ABOUT THE CITY

The city of Como is located at about 45 kilometers in the north of Milano. It is situated in the southern tip of the south-west arm of Como Lake, it is the capital of the province of Como. During the XVIII century it was an important way for the trade between Italy and central Europe. The manifacturing industries was very developed, there were workshops that product wool and silk clothes. The merchandise was transported from Como towards Chiavenna with carriage by the oldest road Regina or by boat until Colico, than crossing the Alpine pass of Spluga reached Coira. Only in 1849 there was a railways that join Monza with Camerlata, in 1875 were built the rails from Camerlata to S. Giovanni.